Michel Tombroff (°1964) postulates conceptual art and aesthetics are not incompatible. His work is an attempt to resuscitate the link between concept and subjectivity, link that was destroyed by the linguistic turn of the sixties. He seeks this link where the notions of concept and subject are the purest, i.e. in mathematics, logic and metaphysics, by giving shape to idealities such as numbers, set theory, and the infinite, and explores the dialectics of idealism, materialism and realism. He studied electrical engineering at Université Libre de Bruxelles and computer sciences at the University of California (Santa Barbara).
- 1964Born in Brussels
- 1987He graduates in Electrical & Mechanical Engineering at the Université Libre de Bruxelles
- 1989Tombroff graduates in Computer Sciences at The University of California. His interests include mathematics, abstract and conceptual arts, evolution theory, philosophy and logic.
- 2021Michel Tombroff lives and works in Brussels
- 2021Presence is more than just being there. Group show. LKFF Art Projects, Beersel Belgium.
- 2021Japan-Europe Palace Art Festival. Group show. Halles St Géry, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2021Order of Operations. Group show. Bozar, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2021Hylémorphismes. Group show. Maison des Arts d’Uccle, Brussels, Belgium.
- 2020Autour de L'immanence des vérités. Université de Namur, Belgium. Seminar with the presence of Alain Badiou.
- 2019Abstract Project Gallery, Paris, France
- 2018Arts & Mathématiques, Mairie du Ve arrondissement, Paris, France
- 2018Coping with Complexity, BOZAR, Brussels, Belgium
- 2018Bridges 2018, Conference on Arts & Mathematics, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2018The Place of Truth, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
- 2018Representing the Undecidable, solo exhibition, Helmut Space, Leipzig, Germany